26th May 2015 04:01pm
4,147 views | 1 comment

There's still a huge amount of confusion, not just with foreigners, but also with the citizens of this great land regarding what certain places are called. The main reason I decided to bring this up is because where the house is that I currently live in is supposedly in about 4/5 different named areas... and it causes major confusion when I try explaining it. Anyway, this isn't about me, it's about this wonderful nation/country/whatever... do we call it Britain? Great Britain? United Kingdom or the British Isles?

To save the confusion, I believe this quick Geography 101 I've made should aid confusion.

Here are the countries/regions(/whatever you want to call them):
The Channel Islands
Isle of Man
Northern Ireland
Republic of Ireland

When England and Wales are joined together, they're "technically" known as Britain


When Britain and Scotland are joined together, they're known as Great Britain (GB)


When Northern Ireland is joined with the Republic of Ireland, they're known as Ireland (or Éire)


When Northern Ireland is joined with Great Britain, it becomes the United Kingdom (UK)


When The Channel Islands, Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland are joined with the United Kingdom, it geographically becomes the British Isles (BI)


Hope that's of some help... yeah?


Tweet ThisShare On FacebookAdd To Del.icio.usShare On RedditShare On LinkedIn



2nd Apr 2017 10:46

Nothing better than a bit of education Sunday morning with a can of Stella Artois! Cheers

By Tony Calder


Post your comment...

Your Name:

Your Email:

Your Comment:

Are You Human?

Tick this box to confirm you're not a bot.

  • © Dale Hay, 2005 - 2021